COVID-19 Update 4/1/2020:
UPDATE: Join us on Thursday, April 2nd at noon for our Virtual Community Response Update and Q & A Live with executive director, Corey Jackson. Join us on Facebook Live or Zoom. This week’s VIRTUAL event will focus on our current, essential services and how folks can access those services. Learn how we, at Citizens Inn, are keeping our clients safe during this unprecedented time. And finally, find out about other emergency services for you or someone in need.
As supporters, volunteers, and friends of Citizens Inn, we will be keeping this web page updated with information about our response to the COVID-19 pandemic and how you can help. As the situation evolves, we are shifting operations as necessary to ensure that we continue to meet the needs of those experiencing food insecurity and homelessness in our community, while keeping our clients, staff, and volunteers safe and healthy.
We are taking all necessary precautions to ensure the safety of our community and acting proactively, with the following modifications to our operations:
- We will no longer be accepting in-kind donations (food, clothing, etc.) until further notice, due to sanitary concerns.
- Our administrative office (81 Main Street), is currently closed. However, if you have any questions or concerns please call our main line at 978-531-9775 and leave a detailed message. Someone will return your call as soon as possible.
- No visitors are permitted at the shelters at this time. All outside providers should call our administrative office prior to visiting.
- Haven from Hunger (71 Wallis Street, Peabody) will continue to operate, providing clients with pre-bagged groceries, including dairy, meats, fresh produce, and shelf-stable food from 10:30 am – 2:30 pm every Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. This service is available to all residents of Peabody, Salem, and Lynnfield.
- NEW – senior hour for clients 65 and older. Seniors can come to Haven for pantry services between 9am-10am Monday, Tuesday, Thursday or Friday.
- If you are a Peabody, Salem or Lynnfield resident and need to access our pantry services, please fill out this form and bring it with you, along with an ID and a piece of mail from the last 30 days with your address on it. The form is also available in Spanish and Portuguese. Please refer to the times above for pantry hours.
- Take-away meals will be distributed from 4:00-5:00 pm on the same days, from the same location to any Peabody residents who need a meal.
- All of our facilities, including Inn Between, Inn Transition, and Haven from Hunger, are cleaned and sanitized frequently, and our clients and staff are thoroughly following best hygiene practices
How can YOU help?
- Volunteers are greatly needed at Haven from Hunger, from 8 am – 5 pm on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays. Our facilities are being kept extremely sanitized and we are asking all staff, volunteers, and clients to stay home unless 100% healthy. If you are in the “low risk” category, we ask that you consider helping your neighbors in need during this unprecedented time. To sign up to volunteer to help bag/distribute groceries and take-away meals, email email@example.com
- Cash donations are most appreciated at this time, as we have seen a surge in unforeseen expenses associated with this virus. This includes cleaning supplies, bags for food, gloves, additional staff if needed, additional shifts to accommodate more trips to the Greater Boston Food Bank and transportation of food to many senior citizens’ and students’ homes. Lastly and most vitally, we need funds to purchase additional food (as needed, we have access to purchase food at pennies on the dollar). As you have seen, grocery store shelves have become bare and our food rescue options have dropped immensely. Please consider making a gift of any amount to support the thousands who rely on our services in your community: www.citizensinn.org/give
- Keep in mind that any donation made between now and June 30 will be DOUBLED thanks to the generous $50,000 matching challenge by MRG Construction! This is the best AND the most essential time to support Citizens Inn.
In the News
- ‘This too shall pass:’ Families already on edge face additional hardships – WCVB Channel 5
- Groups gather, distribute food to kids in need in Peabody – WCVB Channel 5
- Shelters work to keep homeless safe, supported amid pandemic – Salem News
- As virus spreads, pantry goes grab and go – Salem News
- Interview with Dustin Luca of the Salem News and virtual tour of new operations – Salem News