Citizens Inn Between
The Citizens Inn Between is an emergency program for families experiencing homelessness. Founded in 1985, our lovely Victorian home houses six families at a time, and includes one fully handicapped-accessible room. In this program we also maintain a “community room,” available for families experiencing homelessness who are ineligible for shelter assistance from the state.
In addition to the Victorian home in Peabody, the Citizens Inn Between program also serves families housed in additional facilities: 6 families are housed at the Citizens Inn Transition facility, and an additional 13 larger families are housed in various locations in Peabody, Salem and Lynn. In total, the Citizens Inn Between program serves 25 families at any given time.
Some of the important programs and services offered to our families include:
- Ongoing meetings with a case manager to coordinate health care, children’s needs (counseling, school transportation, summer camp, day care), and parents’ needs (education, employment, legal, mental health, etc.)
- Assist families on a daily basis in their effort to obtain permanent, affordable housing
- Life skills development, including budgeting, nutrition, health, parenting skills and successful coping abilities
- On-site Mental Health counseling provided by partner agency, Family Continuity.
- Expressive Art Therapy, playgroups, and homework help for the children.
- Computer access to work on resumes, letters, and hone job skills.